May was easily the most nutso month I’ve experienced in years. By now you’ve heard that I hosted a shopping night at ModCloth on the third day of the month, during which Dago ruptured his Achilles’ tendon. Everything that happened after that has been sort of a blur from my couch. Taking on a caretaker role has been…interesting, to say the least. I’ve learned a lot about myself this last month. I learned some of my strengths: emotional caregiving! — and a lot of my weaknesses: basically all the parts of physical caretaking! There’s an endless cycle of cooking, dishes, and laundry. It’s been a huge adjustment, but we’re doing just that: adjusting. After a month, we’ve got a new system of carpooling and half our furniture is in the extra room to make space for his fancy knee-scooter and we’re doing fine.
All of this said, goals were not my focus in May. And yet, I actually managed to do them? Mostly by accident? And a little bit of a last minute push to see if I could do it.
1. take a weekend trip | done! I took my mom to Fredricksburg for Mother’s Day while my dad hung out with Dago on the couch. No beach trips for a while, unfortunately, but by the end of this summer, I will have managed to go!
2. get my hair professionally colored | done! This technically didn’t happen until June 4 because I was too busy to make the appointment at the beginning of the month, but it happened before this post, so bam!
3. finalize my 27 before 27 list
| done! Check it out here
if you haven’t!
4. photograph my guest bathroom
| done! Check it out here
if you haven’t! 😉
5. try kicking it back up to four posts a week
| So, I’m calling this done because even though there was one week with only three posts, it was the week Dago had his surgery and
I posted five times one week.
5/5! Just imagine me running through a finish line with my arms up, because that’s how I feel about accomplishing everything I set out to do, despite the unexpected challenges of the month. Also, that’s two months in a row I’ve done all my small goals! *does the Cabbage Patch dance* Let’s do it again!
1. adopt Bri’s “Do it now” mantra | When Bri mentioned trying to take on this mindset back in April, I was intrigued. Basically, instead of leaving the cup in the sink or answering an email, insisting I’ll take care of it later, I should do it now. I think this would especially help with my current state of living, so I’m going to give it a try!
2. swim once a week (weather permitting) | It’s been raining on and off (mostly on) for the majority of May, but I’m hoping things clear up in June! Being in the pool gets me outside and semi-active, both of which are things I could use a dose of right now.
3. start cleaning out our extra room | I’ll talk more later about our plan for this room, but first I have to put a dent in
our my hoarder treatment of it!
4. list some clothes on Poshmark | I think I have a better game plan for this than I did last time I made the goal, so here’s to hoping I can do it this time around.
5. take plenty of “me” time | Whether it’s watching a movie in the living room alone, walking around Target, or taking a bubble bath, I need to work extra hard to get some solo time this month. It’s actually been really nice commuting with Dago (I take him to work, then myself to work, and then I pick him up at the end of the day and drive us both home), but if I’m not deliberate about getting some alone time, it absolutely doesn’t happen.
Goals! I set them! Did you? If so, join the monthly small goal link-up below! In case you’re just joining us, I post this every first Monday of the month and usually leave it open through the 20th. Be sure to link back to this post and check out all the other goals being set!