For the first time in a long while, I feel like I kicked a month’s butt without getting mine kicked in return. I committed to being especially thoughtful this month. I made a point to remember my goals, but not just the monthly ones I put here on my blog. I wanted to see growth and progress and learning, rather than myself making the same mistakes or falling prey to the same demons. I wanted to fail harder and feel deeper if things were to go south this month. But you know? Even with my depression and anxiety and struggles with food and body image as ever-present as before, I managed to sidestep the usual end-of-the-month sinkhole by choosing to show myself a little extra care.
One big change I made in April was my state of mind. I wanted to know what I was about the feel, before I felt it. I detected some patterns, I touched base with friends who experience similar ones, and came up with pretty decent solutions to lessen the blow that can sometimes feel all too inevitable.
I challenged myself in some new ways this month, and all this thoughtfulness and attention helped to erase my usual anxiety about the unknown. I walked into my first-ever massage and didn’t bat an eye. When the wedding coordinator needed snap decisions made while my best bride enjoyed time with her new husband, I thought quickly and clearly and gave good instructions. Truly, there isn’t much more I can ask for from myself in a 30 day period.
That said, let’s do a little check in with the goals I actually set out to accomplish.
5/5!!! I’m feeling so great about crossing all of these things off my list in April! Let’s see if I can keep up the momentum into my birthday month!
1. take a weekend trip | I actually have a few small trips I’m hoping to take this month, so if I successfully take even one I’ll be happy!
2. get my hair professionally colored | You may remember that I dyed my hair pink for my birthday last year. Well, I did it myself (Manic Panic style) and immediately realized that I’m not in high school anymore and should definitely be sitting in a professional’s chair when I want to change my ‘do, even for something fun and silly. This time, I’m planning on a more natural look, but it will hopefully be something exciting and different!
3. finalize my 27 before 27 list | As it turns out, this gets harder every year I get older! Not only am I already accomplishing a ton of goals each year, but I keep having to come up with more of them! I’m stoked about the ones I’ve come up with so far, and I’m open to suggestions as well!
4. photograph my guest bathroom | I’m desperately hoping that making this an official goal will help me get this done! I’ve had my guest bathroom done since February before Chrystina stayed with us, but the lighting is terribly strange in there and I’ve been putting off trying to take photos of it for the blog. This is the month!
5. try kicking it back up to four posts a week | And, with the previous goal in mind, I’m thinking I may need to go back to four posts a week in order to put out all the content I want to! It’s been nice having blogging-free nights, but I also feel like I’m not using this space to its potential when it’s just outfits and links. We’ll see how it goes!
Alright, goal setters, start your engines! It’s time for this month’s link up! Be sure to link back to this post in your own goals post, and check out all the other goals being set below!