Oh, August. I began the month by professing my love for you, and then you done kicked my butt. I am so looking forward to September if only because it means August is over. The month wasn’t especially long, per se, it just wasn’t really awesome. I was busier than I would have liked to be, and I’ve also been dealing with some depression and anxiety stuff that hasn’t been fun.
Most of all, I felt like I didn’t have time to do the things I really wanted to do — my goals! As of August 23, I had accomplished exactly zero of my small goals. But you know what? I decided I didn’t want to end the month on a sour note, and I did four goals all in one Sunday!
Okay, okay, so here’s how August ended up:
1. send a few cards to people I love | done! I waited until literally the last possible minute on this one, but I couldn’t bear to not complete this and only finish 4/5 of my goals. Hoping to make this a regular priority!
2. make lemon bars
! I had a lovely Sunday afternoon of baking and Marfa planning. Thank goodness I learned how to make these so I have a potluck dish for the rest of my summer social calendar!
3. deep clean my car | DONE. Y’all I didn’t even realize how much anxiety my messy car was giving me until I got it clean. I feel so much more calm and focused when I drive now!
4. buy a big plant
! I still haven’t named these two little babes, but I’m so in love with them.
5. plan & save for a vacation this fall
| done! I spilled the beans
last week and announced that I’m headed to Marfa later this month! I’ll be sharing deets closer to our trip, and of course, lots and lots of photos from the trip itself. I am SO ready for a vacation!
5/5!!!! This is the first time I’ve ever accomplished all 5, for real, for real. I just want this to go to show that it’s never too late to turn your month around!
Maintaining my momentum from August, here’s what’s in store for September:
1. let go and relax in Marfa | Alright, I know this sounds like a gimme goal, but let me explain. First, because I am going to be on vacation for four days, I don’t want to put too much on my plate and not have the time to get it done — or, worse, stress about it while I’m gone. Second, letting go and relaxing is something I have to work towards, as backwards as that sounds. It would not be hard for me to overbook this trip and make myself sick trying to do all the things or worrying about all the things I need to do at home.
2. finish Unspeakable
| I only have a few months left to finish my 2015 reading list
, and I haven’t made as much progress as I would have liked. Ack, that reminds me, I also need to review You Feel So Mortal
3. look into speaking opportunities at upcoming conferences | This is something I’ve secretly been wanting to do for a long time, so I want to make it a priority this month to send some emails and applications and consider my talking points!
4. make a dish that I can take to work for a week | Cooking and meal planning are two things I have vehemently avoided, but now that I am focusing my energy on intuitive eating, this feels like a logical next step. First up is pesto couscous with cherry tomatoes, spinach, and feta.
5. get professionally fitted for a bra
| It has become painfully apparent (literally) that I am wearing the wrong bra size. I haven’t been fitted since I was 15, and I’ve…uh…gained some weight since then (even some to my boobs!), so it’s about time I find out my current size. I read this fantastic article
(by one of my fav Internet writers!) the other day that’s helped me feel more confident about letting the fitter know what is and isn’t right, and letting myself know what fits and what doesn’t!
What goals are you working towards in September? For the first! time! ever!!!! you can join my linkup and share with everyone! Whether you make big goals or small goals, loud goals or quiet goals, link up below!