photo by Chelsea Laine Francis
It’s May! While it is my birthday month, I really like May for some other unrelated and sort of related reasons too. First, summer really sets in during May and I start to get out and enjoy those summer nights where the sun stays out real late and the lightening bugs are everywhere. Second, I like to treat May like a second chance at the “new year” since it’s a new age for me. I love a good set of goals (obvi), but January 1 isn’t always the most conducive to year-long resolutions. A lot can change between January and May, and year after year I find myself reevaluating the goals I set five months ago simply due to shifting dreams and altered life circumstances.
I’ll undoubtedly be writing about goals a lot this month as I break down last year’s birthday bucket list and share this year’s, but I didn’t want to skip over my favorite monthly tradition of setting a few small goals to work on for the next
30 20 days.
Before we get too much further into May (where the heck has this month gone already???), here’s what I was up to last month.
2. Go for at least 1 walk per week | nope. I think I only walked once the whole month. Womp womp.
4. Create a media kit | nope. This was lofty for sure.
5. Make Breakfast for Dinner business cards | nope, but I know what I want them to look like now! I just didn’t have the money this month to buy them, and I thought making them and not buying them yet would be disappointing.
Two out of five isn’t too bad, especially considering I kind of piled it on for April. Here’s what’s on the docket for May!
1. celebrate me for my birthday | a comment on my recent The Year of the Woman post really stuck with me — Ella mentioned using birthdays as a reason to celebrate oneself, rather than being celebrated by others. How often do we really take the time to celebrate ourselves? I’m for sure going to use this day for a little self-lovin’!
2. finish up and reflect on my 25 before 25 list | I have just 3 more things to complete to get me to 19/25 (currently I’m at 16/25). (See last update here.) The remaining 6 items are things I either can’t do or decided not to do before this birthday. I’ll share more details on this soon!
3. get my 26 before 26 list polished and posted | I’ve been making little changes here and there, but I’ve got my birthday bucket list almost ready to share with y’all! It’s a good one and I’m so excited for the adventure the next year holds for me.
4. take salad to work one day a week | I have mastered a salad that I really love (spring mix + avocado + Italian dressing), now I just need to work on prepping and transporting it!
5. go for a walk one day a week | Dago is so good about consistent physical exercise several times a week. He used to play soccer twice a week, but has sustained a minor injury, so instead he goes for walks. I walked with him around the neighborhood the other evening and it was THE BEST, so I want to try to do it at least once a week!
What are you going to try to do this month?
P.S. I didn’t want to count this as a goal because it’s DEFINITELY happening, but if you’re in Austin this week, come join me at Sophia Rossi’s first book tour stop at BookPeople tomorrow (Tuesday) at 7PM! Bring your bestie to celebrate Sophia’s new book A Tale of Two Besties, which is an excellent read. If you’re not in Austin, be sure to check out her other stops and see her in your nearest city!