photo by Briley Noel
One last goal-related post this month, and then I swear no more goals until February! 2015 is already off to a bang! I accomplished a few goals this weekend from my 25 before 25 list including submit a piece of writing to a zine and meet a blogger in person. I sent off a brand new essay that I’m really excited about to Vagina :: The Zine‘s Winter ’15 issue, and now I just cross my fingers and wait! I also had an impromptu blogger date with Sara of Sincerely Sara, who had come to Austin for a wedding until I borrowed her from her family for tea at one of my favorite little coffee shops and lots of fun blogger talk. It’s so nice to be able to say things like Disqus, ban.do, and Happy Mail and not have to explain it! As I write this on Sunday night, I also have two quick (and really sad) chapters left in Truth & Beauty, and then I get to start Yes Please, the first book on my 2015 reading list!
Before we get into goals for January, let’s look at December’s small goals:
send out family holiday cards | done! I posted the card and the outtakes on the blog, and we emailed the card to our loved ones. The overall response: “adorbs!”
follow five new blogs | done! Actually, I forgot the goal was only 5 and I followed 10 blogs: The Demure Muse, Sarah’s Real Life, Love Wild. Be Free., What Olivia Did, The Clothes Horse, Triple Thread, JennifHseih, I Want You to Know, In My Sunday Best, and Lost in the Haze. I’m already feeling more inspired in general, and I’m excited to form new friendships with a few of the bloggers I listed!
3. post at least 3 times a week | I totally forgot I set this goal, and then I decided to take a week off for the holidays between the 18th and 25th. But! Aside from that, I did meet the goal.
4. buy a dryer | Okay, I know I said “dryer or bust,” but we ended up receiving some really difficult family-related news that I’m not going to write about here, so we aren’t going to have dryer money for a while. We’ve instead settled on a nice little drying rack!
reflect on 2014 and establish resolutions for 2015 | done!
Not bad for a month where I spent about two weeks napping and living off of eggnog and cookies!
1. finish Yes Please | I kind of expect this to be a quick read, and since it’s only January 5, I think I should have time to finish the whole book this month. (I’m a notoriously slow reader — no shame!)
2. do 5 minutes of Duolingo 5 days a week | I’ve decided it’s about time I learn Spanish so I can communicate with Dago’s family! I’m setting this goal at 5 minutes a day 5 days a week, but I expect myself to do more like 10 minutes a day 3 days a week. We’ll see what happens.
3. Scope out some new outfit photo locations | In following a bunch of new blogs, I’m really inspired by creative photo locations in all these exciting cities! Austin has so much beauty and interest to offer, so I want to find some new locations and really be the artistic director that blogging has begun requiring.
4. finish a puzzle with Dago | I came home one night last week with a date night in a box and a bottle: I brought a box of puzzles and a bottle of Moscato. Dago isn’t really into puzzles, but I thought it would be fun to do something together that takes us away from all the screens in our house. Plus, it feels so good to start with a bunch of pieces and take the time to complete the picture!
5. take down the Christmas tree | Oh yeah. This goal. Dago and I left our tree up last year until almost Valentine’s Day. This year I’ve been intentionally leaving it up because it makes Dago so happy to see it all lit up, which is just precious to me, but we really need to get it taken down before we get too far into the new year!
So, there they are. My small goals for January! I think these are pretty attainable, and I’m looking forward to seeing them through! Are you going to try making monthly goals this year? I highly recommend it! This will be my third year doing goals each month and they really help me stay on track!